2. Realize you have ~1-2 months to do it, tell yourself you'll "do it later".
3. Be reminded by professor that you have ~1-2 weeks before your paper is due.
4. Repeat step 2, replace "months" with "weeks".
5. Decide on a topic.
6. Feel accomplished.
7. Do nothing for a while, bask in accomplishment of choosing a topic.
8. Take some books out of the library ~2 days before paper is due.
9. Become addicted to a TV show, decide you are "stressed" from thinking about your paper, need to watch TV to "relax".
10. 1 day before paper is due: begin to panic
11. Start working on paper.
12. Go on tumblr.
14. Have a mental breakdown for ~3 hours.
15. Lie in bed recovering from breakdown.
16. Go on tumblr.
17. Panic some more.
18. Realize you are not going to any classes the next day, start counting in terms of hours, convince yourself you can write a paper in 12 hours, no sweat, no need to sleep.
19. Write a blog post about how to not write an essay.
20. Pour yourself a drink and settle down for a loooooong night.
PS. This was me in high school, not me now. Minus the drinking part. That part is now.
ETA: I should also add that writing one sentence = feeling of accomplishment = worth 1 hour break. Repeat until done and/or dead.
ETA2: 21. Learn a new song on the guitar/develop a new hobby that will take years to master thereby ensuring you have a way to procrastinate for every next paper.