Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Montreal, My Hands Are Getting Cold

Holy shitfuck guys, it's December. I wrote this on November 14th. Obvs I had just read 'America'. I don't know what I want.

Anyways, urgent matters to discuss before you read this poem. Remember when Maine happened? Ironically I used a line from 'America' as the title of that post, and today America, more specifically New York, fucked up again. The NY senate voted no on gay marriage, which is incomprehensibly lame. Read about it on Autostraddle and share your feelings.

Basically I just like to write about cities a lot, now read this about Montreal.

++

Montreal, do you hate me?
I can't figure you out.
I don't think I can talk to you right now.
I might cry and that would be embarrassing.

Montreal, I'm writing your name down.
Montreal, I'm making this real.
Montreal, you're ignoring me.
Can you hear me, Montreal?
I can't figure you out.

Would you like me to wave?
Would you like me to close my eyes?
Is this a game we're playing?
Montreal, you didn't tell me.

Montreal, should I stop asking questions?
I can't stop asking questions.
Is this too unbalanced?
Am I tipping the scales?

Montreal, I'll never be able to refine this.
Montreal, you're never going to read this.
I'm going to make you read this.
Montreal, I'm going to make you care.
I can't make you care.

Montreal, would you like me to leave?
I tried to leave.
Montreal, you wouldn't let me.
Who are you, Montreal?
I can't figure you out.

Montreal, I'm making this real.
Montreal, I'm ending this now.
I can't end this now.
I can't start anything either.

Montreal, I'm stuck.
Montreal, I want to cry.
I'm going to cry in front of you.
I'm going to smoke next to you.
Montreal, would you like a cigarette?

Montreal, would you leave me alone?
Leave me alone.
I'm tired of you.
Montreal, I never see you.
Montreal, you're everywhere.
Montreal, are you ignoring me?
Montreal, I want to leave,
but you left first.

Montreal, it wasn't fair.
I gave you chances, Montreal,
you didn't take them.
Did my opportunities come up short?
Montreal, am I good enough for you?
I'll never be good enough.

Montreal, I'm better than you.
Montreal, I'm stronger.
Montreal, my hands are getting cold.
I'm tired of waiting.
Montreal, you never came.

Montreal, you never met me.
I walked home in the morning.
The morning made my hands cold.
Montreal, do you have pockets?
Do you want a cigarette?
Are you ignoring me?

Montreal, I swear I saw you last night.
I swear you saw me too.
You looked right through me, Montreal.

Between St. Laurent and Mont-Royal,
Montreal, the sidewalks are full.
I walked the sidewalk down St. Laurent.
Montreal, you were on the sidewalk too.

Montreal, I broke the rules.
Montreal, I came outside and you were gone.
Where are you, Montreal?
Are you ignoring me?
Do you want me to leave?
Do you want a cigarette?

Montreal, I don't think you care about me.
I care about me.
Montreal, this is never ending.
Montreal, I'm trying not to cry.
Did you see me last night?
I was trying not to cry.
I walked home in the morning.
Montreal, my hands are cold.

Montreal, I don't think you're listening.
Are you listening?
Montreal, you're no good for me.
Montreal, give me a fucking chance.
Ask me a question, Montreal.
Is this too much?

Montreal, I'm stuck.
Montreal, I cried.
Montreal, I tried.
You didn't try.

Montreal, you ran away.
You left me standing here.
Montreal, my hands are cold.
Answer me, Montreal.
Montreal?

Don't wait up for me, Montreal.
I'm staying out late tonight.

No comments: